Lol…I love the politically wrong-ness of that word. Just to let you know, there aren’t any “Hispanic Snacks” any more than there are European Snacks. Well…maybe nutella would count. That’s one addictive substance…so tasty on toast.
But, since a couple of you wandered over here looking for recipes, apparently, I’ll give you one.
Enchiladas Rojas (México)
Lo que Quieres: What you Want:
Bacon, or thinly cut (I mean muy freaking delgadito) meat of some sort.
Lots and lots of corn tortillas (flour ones are nasty, and don’t hold up well). Probably 4 packages, to be safe.
5 or 6 tomatoes.
At least 6 serrano peppers. (Make sure they’re fresh, and avoid ones with veins unless you like burning your insides…)
Chopped onions (diced finely)
Shredded Cheese (I prefer American or Mozzarella)
A fry pan
Someone to Help
Oh, and beer is a good idea too. Or if you really want to get into the Mexican swing of things, Tequila is nice. NOTE if you don’t like it spicy, lower the serrano peppers. I think you could try adding a milder pepper as well, but the serranos give the food a nice sweet flavor.
- Take your tomates, and your serrano peppers, and blend them until they’re nothing but liquid.
- Fry up the pan, and put in the bacon. I recommend spraying some non-stick spray, but bacon has plenty of fat.
- In the kettle, heat up the blended tomatoes and serrano peppers, and add the bacon grease (but not the bacon) to the mix. Mix it well.
- Pour some vegetable oil into the fry pan (only enough to cover the bottom) and let it warm up a little. Keep the heat on low. You may have to keep adding on more oil as you cook more tortillas.
- Put one tortilla in the fry pan. Let it heat on one side, then the other, until pliable. Caution this is a great way to burn your fingers, so use a tool. Also don’t leave it in too long, or it falls apart. You’ll screw up your first few (or 20) but you’ll eventually get the hang of it.
- Transfer wet, greasy tortilla to the tomato, pepper, and bacon grease blend, and make it turn red. Do it quickly.
- Transfer wet, red tortilla to a plate. Add bacon, onions, cheese, and whatever else you think would be tasty into it.
- Repeat steps 1-7 until you have a full plate (10 tortillas are more than enough for each person).
- Drizzle some more enchilada blend/sauce over the tortillas, garnish with cheese and onions.
- Eat, drink and be merry!
And for some stupid reason this doesn’t want to format right for me. (Never mind…Solved!!!)
So for you people out there not coming from sex websites, here’s an actual recipe for you.
Anyway, you have to do this all quickly, so have one person helping you out. Two people might be too much, so just have it be you and whoever. Other than the tortilla thing, its a really fun, easy to do recipe.